Profile of Akhilesh Srivastava
Akhilesh Srivastava is Chief General Manager (IT & Highway Operations) in National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) and COO IHMCL. He is looking after modernization of Highway sector by integration of IT in Highway Project life cycle to enhance speed & quality of construction. He is also standardizing the contract management procedures to enhance transparency & to minimize the litigations.
Apart from this he is in-charge of Highway Operations of NHAI, which includes Government of India prestigious project -Electronic Toll Collection apart from development of Wayside Amenities, Road Safety, Incident Management, Web radio, Solar lighting and Plantation along the National Highways.
Akhilesh Srivastava is B.Tech (Gold Medalist) from IIT BHU, M Tech from IIT Kanpur, Global MBA from ISB Hyderabad and Executive MBA from Wharton USA. He has also done LLB and PG in Infrastructure Development from NICMAR. He is a prolific scholar, academician and writer. His articles are regularly published in many National & International Journals and newspapers.
He has vast experience and domain knowledge on variety of fields ranging from Contract Management to Information Technology and Operational Management. He is well known in the Government Sector for timely execution of large scale projects and incorporation of Information Technology in the big & large scale Government projects such as
- Successful implementation of e-tendering in Ministry of Defense throughout the India in record time of 6 months.
- Designed & implemented a revolutionary software for digitization of site measurements called e-MB in many Government departments. From e-MB, users can verify the work said to be executed and give his comments. The contractors can download record of their executed works to submit online bill for payments, no need to visit engineering offices.
- In NHAI, modernizing the Highways sector by integrating IT in every step of the project life cycle of Highway, from planning to tolling & operations.
- Recently developed & deployed country’s one of the most advanced Project Management and Information System (PMIS) with GIS tracking facility & Mobile App features for intense project monitoring of Highways.
- Developing the India’s largest 24X7 video surveillance command and control center for live monitoring of traffic at 440 Toll Plazas. This will pave way for much desired Automatic Traffic Monitoring System(ATMS) in India an ambitious project.
Considering his execution records, given task of implementation of Government of India’s ambitious project of Electronic Toll collection (ETC). The ETC project is being monitored by highest authorities in the Government of India. Progress on ETC so far have been exceptional :-
- ETC RFID tag called FASTag has been fixed on more than 6 lakhs vehicles in less than 6 months.
- This is a mammoth task considering the geographical reach and socio-economic-political conditions of the country.
- Operationalized one fully ETC lane on 368 Toll Plazas of India.
- The Toll collection through ETC has reached to Rs 265 Cr per month amounting to 18% penetration of total Toll collection.
- More than Rs 2000 Crores Toll revenue have been collected through ETC in the nine months.
- Converting more than 3800 Tolling lanes on 440 Toll Plazas spread across the country in Hybrid ETC enabled lanes
- The Hybrid ETC technology is his innovative concept of ETC tailored for Indian conditions because earlier concept of ETC lane with one ejection lane was not suitable for Indian conditions, since it was occupying two lanes(one ETC lane + one ejection lane) at already space/lane crunch Toll Plazas.
- Ultimate vision to convert Tolling on Highways into hassle free distance based tolling without any Toll Plaza infrastructure.
NHAI has recently raised new vertical of Highway Operations and considering his extra ordinary performance, he has been given this additional charge of most challenging task of Highway Operations in addition to his so many assignments.
- As CGM (Highway Operations) he will be working on development of Wayside amenities, Web Radio, Wi-fi, Solar light, Road Safety, Helpline/Call Center, Incident Management and green plantation along the National Highways.
Member of High powered committee on Online Dispute Resolution(ODR). He has developed an online portal for Online Dispute Resolution(ODR).
- Big advocate of ODR and sees tremendous opportunity for India in Online Dispute Resolution(ODR).
- Believes that ODR will create tremendous job opportunities for large number of software engineers available in India
- Firmly believes that ODR will also make India as favorite destination for Online Dispute Resolution.
Member of High Powered Working Group to Harmonize & Standardize National Bidding Documents.
- Profound supporter of Rating of the contractors by third party
- Based on rating scores suggest to come out of L1 syndrome for quality construction.
- Believes that third party rating & quality audit will improve transparency and create new jobs in the construction sector.
Written a book on Construction Management.
A positive & enthusiastic person, blended with unique combination of expertise in domain of IT, Legal, Contract Management and Operational Management.
Loves sharing his knowledge and enjoys delivering lectures & discussing case studies at various national & international forums, seminars & educational institutions.
Advisor to many institutions including IIT Indore, IIT Bhilai etc. A distinguished officer, has been decorated & awarded number of times for his outstanding services & contributions to Government Sector.